Pregnancy Care


What an exciting time in your family’s life with the new addition. As your body changes and your baby is developing in the womb, this puts different stressors/pressure on the spine and pelvis. Ligament laxity and altered biomechanics during the progressing trimesters with minimal alternatives to pain management, headaches and sciatic leg pain leaving you feeling very uncomfortable all the time. There percentage of women having low back pain according to American Pregnancy Association is approximately 50 to 70 percent. It usually occurs at 5-7 months and can occur as early as 8-12 weeks. Approximately 85% of women with low back pain in previous pregnancy will develop low back pain in a subsequent pregnancy. According to Parents Magazine, typical labor time is 14 hours for the first child and for women who have given birth before, it is about 8 hours. Sheppard Chiropractic wants a healthy pregnancy for both you and your child.

During pregnancy, several hormonal and posture changes are occurring due to the developing baby. Some of these changes are misalignments of the spine occur which can be caused by increased back curve (Lordosis) with abdomen changes, postural compensation, pelvic changes with altered gait. Establishing pelvic balance and alignment is another reason to obtain chiropractic care during pregnancy. When the pelvis is misaligned (Subluxated) it may reduce the amount of room available for the developing baby. The nervous system is the master communication system to all the body systems including the reproductive system.The nervous system controls all actions (voluntary and involuntary) including the five senses, digestion, elimination, breathing, heartbeat, wiggling toes, and especially, you and your baby’s health.The nervous system of the body is like the electrical system of your house. When a circuit becomes overloaded, it causes a circuit breaker to blow. We call the overloaded circuit a subluxation and the circuit breaker are like a spinal misalignment. Only 10 percent of the nervous system registers pain, the other 90 percent controls thinking, smelling, hearing, seeing, breathing, digesting, elimination, and movement. Research has shown that it only takes the pressure of a dime to lose 60 percent of nerve function in the body.The presence of misalignments equals malfunction of the nerves causing pain. Keeping the spine aligned helps increase the efficiency of the entire body. Now more than ever, during pregnancy you need a nervous system that responds immediately and accurately to changing requirements in all parts of your body. To meet these challenges, you need a healthy spine!

Chiropractic care during pregnancy is safe for both the mother and baby. Spinal adjustments are especially gentle during pregnancy as far less force is required to correct subluxations. This is due to the increase in hormones causing significant muscle and ligamentous relaxation. A special “Pregnancy Table” also provides comfort and safety for both the mother and the baby. According to the Journal of Manipulation and Physical Therapy 1991I, 84% of women receiving spinal adjustments reported relief of back pain during pregnancy. Through her research, Dr. Joan Fallon showed spinal adjustments reduced labor time by 31% and 25% for subsequent children. The Journal of Manipulation and Physical Therapy in 2002 reported 82% success rate of turning babies from a breech position when doctors of chiropractic used the Webster Breech Technique. Chiropractic Adjustments result in an easier pregnancy, delivery and postpartum return to health for the mother. If you are an expectant mother, discover how Sheppard Chiropractic can ease your pregnancy as well as your delivery. Contact our office today to schedule a consultation.


Contact Us

chiropractic spine


Learn how we can help with your pain