The 3 Most Frequently Asked Chiropractic Care Questions and The Answers to Them
Most people have a few questions when considering chiropractic care to naturally treat pain and injuries. If you've been wondering if chiropractic is a good option for you, you'll want to take a look at these commonly asked questions.
What Kinds of Conditions Do Chiropractors Treat?
Chiropractic treatment focuses on your muscles, vertebrae, joints, tendons, and ligaments. The treatment may be a good choice if you experience joint, muscle or nerve pain after a car accident, fall or another type of injury.
Accidents aren't the only cause of pain. Fortunately, your chiropractor can also treat back, neck or shoulder pain related to poor posture, overuse injuries, tendonitis, bursitis, arthritis, and other conditions.
Pain and stiffness can occur when your spine becomes misaligned. Spinal misalignments cause your muscles and joints to become tight and stiff and are responsible for pain and decreased range of motion. Misaligned vertebrae in your spine and tight muscles may also press on your nerves, triggering or increasing pain.
Chiropractic treatments are designed to improve the alignment of the spine, ease muscle tension and stiffness, relieve pressure on nerves, decrease inflammation, and improve range of motion and flexibility.
Chiropractic treatment can helpful for many conditions, including:
• Whiplash Auto Injuries
• Headaches and Migraines
• Spinal Disc Issues
• Spinal Stenosis
• Slips and Falls
• Pinched Nerves
• Text Neck
• Tingling and Numbness in the Hands, Feet, Arms, and Legs
• Pain in the Back, Neck, Head, Shoulders, Arms, Ribs, Hips, Legs, Feet and Pelvis
• Poor Posture
• Sprains and Strains
• Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
What Other Treatments Do Chiropractors Offer?
If you've ever seen a character on a TV show or movie receive chiropractic care, you may assume that spinal manipulations are the only treatments chiropractors offer. During spinal adjustments, your chiropractor uses quick, hands-on pressure to realign the small vertebrae in your spinal column. Many people refer to this as "cracking the neck," but the cracking sounds produced during manipulation are actually gas bubbles released from the joints.
Improving the alignment of the spine with spinal manipulation reduces inflammation, improves flexibility and range of motion, enhances blood flow and decreases pressure on the joints, nerves, muscles, and ligaments.
In 2017, the Journal of the American Medical Association published a systematic review of studies that evaluated the effectiveness of spinal manipulation in treating acute low back pain. The review noted that manipulation was associated with less pain and improved function six weeks after treatment.
Other studies have shown spinal manipulation and chiropractic treatments to be effective in treating whiplash, neck pain, work injuries, sciatic, migraines and other conditions.
In addition to spinal adjustments, Sheppard Chiropractic also offers these treatments:
• Massage therapy is often used in conjunction with chiropractic treatments and may be helpful in decreasing pain, easing muscle tension and reducing stress. Massage increases blood flow to the injured area, increases range of motion and promotes healing.
• Nutritional consulting and advice. As a Vegetarian for over 34 years, I have always said you are what you eat (I guess I’m a vegetable??). Proper diet with whole food supplements improves healing time, mental and physical health, ensures key vitamin and minerals when the body needs them and overall performance.
Am I a Good Candidate for Chiropractic Adjustments?
Chiropractic care is a safe, effective treatment option for most people. During your first visit, Our office will perform a thorough examination, order X-rays or diagnostic MRI tests, and discuss your medical history and symptoms before recommending a treatment plan.
Although medication can temporarily dull your pain, your symptoms will return unless you address the cause. Chiropractic treatment treats the source of your pain, eliminating or reducing the need for pain killers or other medications. It's a good choice if you're experiencing sudden or chronic pain or have other symptoms, such as:
• Pain that affects any part of your body or shoots down your arms or legs
• Joint pain
• Muscle pain, weakness, tingling or numbness
• Difficulty walking, maintaining your balance, or sitting or standing without pain
• Frequent headaches, fatigue or difficulty concentrating due to your symptoms
Chiropractic treatment can help relieve your symptoms naturally. Contact us if you're ready to schedule an appointment.